I am a born and bred Aucklander with close to 25 years’ experience as a lawyer. After commencing my career in Auckland I headed to London in 1997 to lead the property department of a London based firm and gained admission to the High Court of England and Wales. Upon my return to New Zealand I worked at a well-established law firm in Auckland city prior to establishing Steindle Williams Legal with Tony Steindle in 2002.
I have wide experience in business, commercial and property matters, in particular business and commercial property acquisitions and sales including providing practical advice on structuring and tax. I love all things property and act for a number of property development clients requiring multi-tenant leasing advice and compliance with local authority and legislative requirements as to those tenancies. I have also had extensive experience in advising clients on construction contracts whether it be buying off the plans in multi storey complexes or advising on residential building agreements prepared by various national building companies.
While I act for large corporates I am also proud of the personal relationships that I have built with a large number of individuals and families over a number of years. These range from private clients with asset management needs to privately owned businesses and entrepreneurial business owners. I understand that each business is unique and has different needs and I act for a variety of businesses and business owners, including accountants, architects, photographers, film writers, tradespeople and restaurateurs and hoteliers. I work closely with owners on new venture start-ups and provide sound and practical advice on joint venture and shareholders agreements, franchise agreements, terms of trade, website terms and conditions, agency and distribution agreements, funding arrangements and structuring for tax and/or asset protection.
A significant part of my practice is in the arena of asset planning and protection for private clients. This includes advising on asset ownership, the setting up and administering family and trading trusts (for both NZ based and offshore parties), resettlements, variations of trust and providing retirement and succession planning advice including wills and powers of attorney. I have considerable experience in the purchase of units in retirement villages, occupation licences, residential care subsidies and the issues surrounding them. I am often asked to carry out independent and general asset structure reviews in conjunction with accounting advice where applicable by individuals who are dissatisfied with their current legal advisor.
I have presented seminars to various groups including other lawyers and members of the Auckland Property Investors Association and other property interest groups. I am the current Association Chairperson of the South Auckland/Cornwall Branch of the IHC.
My recent experience includes:
- Acting for a Trust in its redevelopment and construction of a multi-unit development in Auckland, acting in all financing requirements and negotiating individual tenant leases.
- Acting for the purchaser of a BP2Go Service Station and negotiating Heads of Agreement, Supply Agreement, funding and Development Allowances.
- Assisting in the purchase of two large commercial properties and lease negotiations with both international and national tenants including a nationwide supermarket chain and building products supplier.
- Advising and acting for franchisors and franchisees in various industries (including the fast food and restaurant/café industry, hydraulic systems, retail and mobile franchises).
- Formation of corporate entities and preparation/ negotiation of shareholder arrangements for mergers of groups of medical practitioners, architects, photographers and an I.T. businesses.
- Purchase of a child care business including advising on legislative compliance issues.
- Formation of family trust and on-going trustee duties including investment portfolio monitoring and beneficiary distributions following the death of the settlor of the trust.
- Preparation of documentation and completing settlement of the purchase of an accounting practice.
- Major trust restructure involving retirement and appointment of trustees for offshore based sportsperson involving bank consent issues and transfer of property.
- Retail leasing for major kitchen retail appliance stores.